Remember the lyrics to “Santa Claus is Coming to Town?”
He’s making a list
And checking it twice;
He’s gonna find out who’s naughty and nice
Santa Claus is coming to town
And remember how nice you tried to be, especially around Christmas time, lest you be left off of Santa’s list?
Well, just for fun, I made a list of the nice and naughty things I did this year:
- I tried to see things through others’ eyes.
- I practiced “letting go.”
- I posted more positive stories than negative stories.
- I joined a sprinting group, which has greatly increased my daily word count—from pretty much ZERO over the last several months to 800-1200 words per day.
- I planned a surprise trip to New York for Steve’s 60th birthday.
The nicest thing I did all year: In a year filled with raw emotions, I was (outwardly 🙂 ) respectful toward those with whom I disagreed. (And when I couldn’t be, I kept my mouth shut.) Benefit: In almost every instance, the person with whom I disagreed also responded respectfully.
- I didn’t always speak up when I wanted to. (In fact, that happened too often. I don’t like conflict.)
- I was not always as compassionate as I should have been.
- I was often too distracted by social media to fulfill goals—like writing more and reading more.
- I was a news junkie.
- I didn’t exercise as much as I should have. (But I have a new FitBit, and that helps!)
- I didn’t call my dad as much as I should have. Nor did I visit Santa Fe or Tulsa as much as I should have.
The naughtiest thing I did all year: Well, of course, I can’t tell you that. 🙂 Haha! Just kidding. Not sure about naughty, but one of my biggest flaws is my tendency to overthink and assume instead of living in the moment. Consequence: Often, in hindsight, the concerns/fears wrought by my “assumptions” never came to fruition. And I may never know what new experiences I missed because my “overthinking” prevented me from doing something.
All I can say is, I must have been on Santa’s “Nice” list, because a little elf told me he’s bringing me something very nice this Christmas. But, you’ll have to stay tuned to find out!